Sunday, August 24, 2014

Define Contemporary: Why I worship Agnes Locsin



Not so long ago, there were discussions about how to define or identify contemporary dance. Some interpret it as dances that are NOT identified to a particular dance technique. Some define it as modern ballet. Some even insist it must be mixed with different art forms and mediums. My personal take on it is that contemporary dance is about liberation. It is the product of allowing a person to creatively color beyond the lines. To even attempt to define it is destroying it all together.

I definitely cannot put contemporary in a box.  I can however talk about what I think it could be. For me, contemporary dance is any movement that is a product of unique thought, innovation and a solid concept. It doesn't matter what dance vocabulary is used as long as the output reflects a leap away from template classics and or staging. I thought I should write about it this because after watching Ballet Philippines' La Revolucion Filipina, I realized that Agnes Locsin after all this years still is the best representation of a contemporary choreographer. It's ironic that her inspiration is derived from history and ethnic roots. While I know quite a few might contest this idea, I wanted to write about it anyway. 


Agnes Locsin created La Rev in the 90s. This is the 2nd attempt to restage La Rev. Every time I watch her creation, I seem to see more layers of her work. I realized  that her innovation is not merely the intricately  linked movements that she has created but rather  the fact that she has  created a whole language to communicate her message. Her medium is still ballet transformed in  neo-ethnic form which  she developed herself through various inspirations. What is more contemporary than creating  your dialect through dance. Her choreography is not only beautiful it is also very technically difficult to replicate by both dancers and choreographers. The dancers may be able to go home with the Agnes Locsin technique but it's  her rich mind that is hard to copy.  I highly respect people like her who dare to  make something they can call their own. In her case, Agnes Locsin has created a signature style that I call "nature moves". I tend to be disappointed on how "some" of the choreographers out there  have  done the opposite. A lot have gone against the grain of contemporary and  have joined the bandwagon of  supporting the template. I would love to see choreographers  develop their own style. Think Martha Graham, Twyla Tharp, George Balanchine. Better yet, think Agnes Locsin. They were once thought of as contemporary before they were established as pillars. To this day, they still represent (at least to me) the unique perspective. It may be difficult at first. It's quite possible that nobody will understand. But one day, an audience member will say "Thank you for being different". 




Photos: From CCP Website presumably from Kiko Cabuena as stated in the photo

No comments:

Post a Comment