Sunday, August 24, 2014

A bit of a throwback: Waiting Until Dark and Noises off


I would say it's a pity that I don't get to spend as much time reflecting on my thoughts and spitting words out on paper.  But then again, I make a habit of living life fully so I must have had worthwhile activities that led to my brief hiatus in blogging. While I missed my "me" time for writing, I surely made use of my time at the theatre. Despite the showers that come, theatre in Manila is sizzling hot. Here's what I have to say ....


Waiting until Dark

The only thing I knew about this play was that my ultimate idol had done a movie version of it during her prime. Repertory's first offering for 2014 was a suspense thriller starring Liesl Batucan as Suzie Henderson. The story revolves around Suzie a blind woman who gets caught up in in a complicated criminal rendezvous without her knowing.

Liesl Batucan was simply astounding. Her performance was incredibly precise. Only a veteran can pull of the nuisances like that. For a blind character, her physicality was what she used to establish her disability. More than the blank stare, it was how she had mastered the room that made the  difference. Her every tap  of her cane in every spot was calculated or so it seemed that way. Halfway through the play I forgot she was playing a role. Her sensitive portrayal made me silently root for her ala telenovela even if i knew audience opinion wouldn't affect the ending.  She was supported by a beautiful ensemble cast. Joel Trinidad for me was the very able storyteller of this show. He played Mike Talman one of the crooks. It was a delight to see Robbie Guevara play crook #2 Sgt Carlino. He provided the comedy needed to neutralize this thriller. Arnel Carreon played Henry Roat, the mastermind. Hats off to this actor for his dark theatrical version of a sinister mind. Lorenz Martinez plays a cameo as Suzie's husband delivering ever so ably. Last but not the least is Dani Gana who played annoying 9 year old Gloria.  The young thespian left a lasting imprint of plates crashing on the floor in my head. Definitely one to watch out for. She was either heavily coached or naturally brilliant, or maybe even both.

Overall, this play was mentally and emotionally engaging. I loved it.


Noises Off

A play within a play. You'd think the plot would be complicated. Well, it's not. This show was simple comedy executed by a stellar cast. Worthy of mention would be  Carla Guevara Laforteza who portrayed the role of a starlet. She had me howling in laughter as she repeated her lines out of context repeatedly (as required by the play). I've seen her do a lot of stuff and apparently there is nothing she can't do. Comedy, check! Shiela Valderrama-Martinez played a gossiping actress straight out of pleasantville. She too was hilarious as she furiously attempted to keep everything in its proper place in her obsessive compulsive ways. Paul Holme who played a washed up alcoholic actor was the funniest of them all even if he had limited exposure.

The show was enjoyable. If anything, the pace of the play was a bit slow at times. This being how it was written, I can't really fault the production. There really are days when one just needs to have a good laugh.  Thank you for the laughter Repertory Philippines.


PHOTO CREDITS: REPERTORY PHILIPPINES





No comments:

Post a Comment