Saturday, August 27, 2016

(LATE POST) Ballet Philippines' Firebird and Other Ballets



This post might be deemed irrelevant because of how late it is but I realized my purpose was to immortalize dance moments in cyberworld so here am I archiving my favorite photographs ....... reconstructing thoughts that were left in draft mode :) 

Firebird and other ballets was a basket of different delicacies. It was a bundle of something exotic, something gourmet,  something familiar, and an all time favorite. 

 Firebird was that exotic flavor  provided by George Birkdaze. Previously promoted as a Russian tale  repackaged with Filipino flavor, I instantly connected it  to the Sarimanok. Well, I was wrong, while it felt like nothing was Filipino enough, it did satisfy the senses with a strong eclectice asian vibe.  This aesthetic value of the this ballet was deserving of praise as the set of Ohm David was simply magnificent  perfectly complemented by the intricate costumes by Mark Lewis Higgins.  The well thought of picturesque quality draws you in. The choreography was dynamic allowing the music of Igor Stravinsky to shine. However, I felt as an audience member that there was somehow a lack of emotional commitment to the story. I can't say for sure if it was the lack of investment of the dancers or the lack of understanding of the story but I felt that the story telling lacked a bit of magic. I didn't see the fire in Firebird. 






Monica Gana with Jean Marc Cordero


Moving Two  choreographed by Dwight Rodrigazo has been part of the Ballet Philippines reportoire for a while now and it always just delivers.  This piece somehow just brings happiness as it sways your thoughts with their quirky  slides here and there. Victor Maguad and Jemima Reyes seemed to enjoy every bit of the this quirky contemporary piece extending  their limbs  comfortably.   It's  a refreshing piece that allows you to take a breather in between all the other quite serious themes. 






Ne Ne Ledeg by David Campos is a neo-classical piece that resembles a fleet of swans fluttering by. I have much appreciation for  this piece just because it showed a global tastelevel (in my humble opinion). Concept was simple but solid. Lines were interesting and showcased the length of the dancers. 



                             


Shifting Weight by Carlo Pacis is a revised version of an  original work. The theme of this piece is quite heavy. Months after having seen it I still remember how I felt watching the piece. Talking about the choreography, it was inventive with the use of the costumes  as  the means to shift weight. (Of course I have seen this piece performed before so the impact might not have been the same) . The stitiching of the steps seemed a good fit for the dancers.  I just felt that it was too heavy for the eyes and perhaps the heart, my heart in particular 


Gary Corpuz and Denise Parungao 










As I said the this Ballet Philippines offering for me was  like a carefully selected sampling of different things. With the variety, an audience like me is bound to like some more than the other  but just to be given the options was  a thrilling experience. 









No comments:

Post a Comment