Saturday, August 22, 2015

Revelations :Hong Kong Ballet's Season Finale


It has been months since Hong Kong Ballet closed their 2014 season. I delayed this post because of a personal promise I made to a friend. I contemplated not writing it altogether. However, the show was so potent that I couldn't set aside the imagery and the emotion that I took home that night at the theater. 

I have grown fond of Hong Kong Ballet's mixed bill productions because there is always something unique to be seen. It's never a replica or a substandard copy of a previous production. The point of view of every mixed bill production is always loud and clear. This particular mixed bill for me is special in a different way. I feel that on that stage, several artists shared pivotal moments in their lives. Shakespeare said it best when he said " All the world is a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages."  I know the quote was meant to describe the intricacies of universal life. However, it is ironically describes what the artists shared with the audience in that show. 

Let me explain. There were several revelations that night.  For one, I knew that Jurgita Dronina was to dance Paquita. What I didn't know was that she was to join the Company as the newest Guest Principal Dancer.  One of the reasons I flew to Hong Kong was to see her dance again. She made quite an impact a few years back when she performed in Ballet Manila's World Stars of Ballet Gala. I  had no idea that she was going to take on the role of Guest Principal Dancer. For the longest time, it had only been Yuan Yuan Tan who was the proclaimed Guest Principal Artist. She would occasionally  take part in at least one of the season productions. Upon seeing that title in the program and several mini articles about her in the internet, my mind started spinning. Was she going to visit Hong Kong more often now? Will Hong Kong Ballet be a second home to her? I was excited to say the least about the possibilities.  The season finale I  watched was her first show (to my recollection) with Hong Kong Ballet. She took on the role of the ballerina in Paquita. There were a few slips that happened that night but none big enough that could diminish the sparkling beauty of this lady. Her extensions were  picturesque. Her fouette tricks were impressive. Her elegance is comparable to that of Margot Fonteyn and Audrey Hepburn.Finally her energy was engaging. All that being said, she is a trophy addition to the Company. It was her first entrance  to Hong Kong's spotlight, one that was met with thunderous applause. To me it was a historical moment.  I can't wait to see more of her in the coming seasons. 

Photo: Kitmin Lee 

That is not all that took me by surprise that night. Another dancer was  at a turning point in her career and on that stage she made her final statement. I was able to follow Candice Adea's progression in Hong Kong Ballet. She has been a friend to me for years and I have always loved supporting her triumphs with the Company. Indeed she has been a pride and joy for the Filipino dance community. I saw her first production with the Company and was fortunate enough to see her last. You see, after  an illustrious  two year stint with the Company, she bids them goodbye to join Ballet Met.  I would have loved to see her end her affiliation with the Company with a more principal role. But I have to admit, she was a feisty charmer in Alexei Ratmansky's Carnivale. She exits with a  lasting impression.  She is one of the smallest dancers with the biggest movements  on stage. She took on the role of lead hen. In the mix of animals, her sprightliness and clarity of movement was too cute to forget. I'm sad to see her leave for a farther destination but I am excited to see her add another feather on her cap. Bon Voyage Candice Adea, until we meet again. 


Dancers: Candice Adea, Naomi Yuzawa, Yuri Moriwaki
Photo: Conrad Dy-Liacco

                                     



So you see so many personal stories marked by performances on stage. My favorite would have to be the biggest revelation of them all.  I have seen Hong Kong Ballet succeed  in dancing pieces by world renowned choreographers. In the same production, they succeeded in giving life to Alexei Ratmansky's entertaining Carnivale. However, seeing the world premier of "Bolero" left me at an unparalleled state of awe and admiration. Yuh  Egami  and Ricky Hu are both active dancers of the Company.  I had no idea that the the choreographers who would succeed in  creating a work that is distinctly perfect for the Company would be one of their own. "Bolero" is a a piece about  the ascent of depression of a modern woman. It aimed to humanize  how one could possibly lose your mind with the number of voices  you hear in your solitude. The theme was quite bold but the presentation of the concept even bolder. Principal dancer Liu Yu-Yao was found fragile inside  a white architectural set  framing her. Liu Yu-Yao put just the right amount of madness and lucidity in her portrayal.  The set  that initially caged her like a  mental institution  soon  evolved into a more personal space, a window, a door, a table, a chair  that featured the ballerina's  frame of thought.  The set had its own choreographed transitions that were so purposeful and effective in highlighting moments.  The characters representing the voices in her head  weaved in and out with the set as their playground. The piece was so intense not only because of the powerful dancers but because it was clearly a well thought of. The two choreographers were indeed  god storytellers. Not only do they have impeccable taste and a good grasp of dance vocabulary, they also have a commitment to innovation. Bolero just proved that Hong Kong Ballet now has double threat artists on their side. I do hope I get to see more of the duo's genius. 



Dancers: The Hong Kong Ballet Dancers
Photo: Kitmin Lee

Dancer: Liu Yu-yao
Photo: Kitmin Lee

Dancer: Liu Yu-yao, Shen Jie, Leung Chung Long
Photo: Conrad Dy-Liacco



The season finale was eventful with someone new arriving, someone old exiting, and two people's careers evolving. In summary, it was a closing that would make anyone excited about the new season. Bravo. 



For those who are interested, Check out the link of Bolero and Carnivale (With Candice Adea dancing in it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEP6R59zTk  (Bolero)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hva_ztzgSCU (Carnivale)





No comments:

Post a Comment