Sunday, February 26, 2017

Airdance Makes a Statement

All under a bold title of "This is not a Circus", Airdance presented five pieces by five of their very own choreographers. Positive-negative statements are statements on their own. I wanted to know what kind of statement they wanted to make. Was their production going to be derogatory towards the circus industry in any way? I had hoped not. Were they defining their circus acts as high...er art? The circus industry has gone a long way too from the commercial route to the artistic route. Youtube is filled with videos that they call contemporary circus, a fusion of circus acts, performance art and contemporary dance. Needless to say, I didn't see the need to differentiate the two because there is indeed a growing interest in Contemporary Circus. I had hoped they would embrace  this trending art.

Thankfully the show was not in any way derogatory. They performed two unaided performances and three pieces using circus apparatus. The pieces were more like entries in a diary with each  exhaling sentiments wanting to be heard. Five choreographers, five statements emboldened by movement. 


Dislocation  Series
Choreography by Nicole Primero and Chantal Primero 
Performed by Marielle Joy Baylocon, Jenica Tavares

"Achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise to begin with, was it?" Adam Savage
Photo courtesy of Airdance 

 
Fall
Choreography by Marvin Peralta, Chantal Primero
Performed by Marvin Peralta 

I am an angel trying to fall up. 



Singap (Gasp)
Choreography by  Mia Cabalfin

ARTICLE III SECTION 4 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
No law shall be passed abridging the freedom of speech, of expression, or of the press, or the right of the peole peaceably to assemble and petition the government for redress of grievance. 








The Day I Remember
Choreography by Christopher Chan
Performed by Nicole Primero

Then you said "I do"
And I do too. 

I love you.
You loved me too. 

That day I remember.
Kill me. 




Dyad
Choreography by Rhosam V. Prudencio Jr. 
Performed by : Chistoher Chan and  Marvin Peralta 

"They dyad gets its name from passing through or asunder;for the dyad is the first to have separated itself from the monad, whence also it is called "daring".For when the monad manifests unification, the dyad steals in and manifests separation."- Lamblichus





I choose to always celebrate Filipino creations but I do find that some art stays with you long after the show is finished. While I did  not  instantly understand  the intention of  Airdance's last piece called DYAD , the contrast of symmetry and  detachment of movement was soothing to the eyes. With the music intense even in its silent moments, it allows the brain to zoom into the movement. This kind of piece makes you forget your surroundings and lay still . But what I liked about it the most was the after effect of seing the choreographer's premise (see above). Because as complex and sensitive as the intention was, in hindsight it made perfect sense.  The message lingered and  made me  think some more, made me  dissect the visual some more. In the end the feeling of understanding or relating to  Rhosam Prudencio's creation was exhilerating and rewarding at the same time. 

More power Airdance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment