Monday, June 15, 2015

Power of Kindness

         
             
Hampton Court Ballet officially closed the recital season this summer. Still pumped with adrenaline from the night before, remarkable moments were flashing through my mind. It is a given that I was bursting with pride because of the beautiful dancing on stage.  I am after all a teacher, a mommy, a tita, and even  yaya all in one to  my students. Year after year I  always feel emotionally exhausted after a show. Last night, it felt like I actually danced a full length, in total 10 variations and 7 ensemble group dances. Photographed in my head are all the triumphs and struggles of the show. But tattooed in my heart is something even better.  Every show is a gift, this year mine came in the form of  a realization. 


Ate Stacey taking care of the baby ballet 

Our school implements an ATE CARES system, where yayas and mothers are  not allowed to meddle inside the studio or backstage.  This is a tradition  that we adopted from  our mother school Team Dance Studio. It is meant to establish independence and discipline. All the needs of the students are taken cared of by an ate. In Hampton Court Ballet, everyone except my Baby Ballet students is an ate to someone. This system works. It provides efficiency and organization in a place where chaos can exist. This year I realized it is far more powerful than  that. I should have known that the founder of our mother school  created it to be more than that. 

Ate Ivi taking care of our baby ballerina 

In order to motivate my students, I announced a while back that I will give special prizes for students who will embody discipline, kindness and courteousness. I wanted to remind them that being a dancer is not just being technically good, it is also about caring about someone other than yourself. Prior to the show I approached all my students and asked them who the best peach( baby ballet) ,purple (children's ballet)  and blue or black  was. I had expected some  students to be crowd favorites but I was mistaken. Every ate got voted. The peach students almost had me in tears as they simply explained why their "ate" was the best.Note that I never really asked why. I just asked them who the best one was.  One of my little ballerinas emphatically  said  "Ivi has got to be the best ate. She always has my back ready to fix my costume. She always asks me if I'm ok." Another said " Ate Gaby is the best ate because she teaches us the steps and she is just so very nice and the best in........ it went on and on". One that was quite touching to me said " Berry because she is gentle with the kids and makes sure they are ready".  Even my naughtiest students from the Blue level got voted best ate in their category. During the show, the older girls were cheering for their minions. The younger girls were cheering for their ates. It was a sight to behold. It was heartwarming to see. It was proud moment for me. I always wanted my school to be a  haven, a happy place to learn.   The competitiveness of the art sometimes results in awful human behavior and even awful human beings. Having heard first hand what everyone thought of each other. I was assured our studio was  safe from harm. Hampton is  more than a studio it is a second home for everyone. It is a place where they obviously have a teacher and numerous friends. It is also a place where they have an ate who never runs out of kindness. I thank God for this.
                                       
I looked back at my very own ballet past and I suddenly remember how big an impact my ballet ates had on me.  I was always grateful that there were people out there  who provided encouragement and assistance. It was the little things that made the difference and made me think ballet was a possibility for me. I want the same thing for  my students. I pray that this legacy of kindness is honored always in my school and that the senior students  are patient in protecting  the ate system. 

I looked at my own life.   Truth  be told I am an ate to many even if I am the youngest in the family. I can only hope   that  I have been a good one to one or two from the pack.   At end of the day, I am  thankful for the reminder of the intense power of kindness. I am reminded to demand it inside my studio. I am reminded to commit to it in the outside world. Lastly I am reminded to pray for the strength to be good to another always irregardless of whatever the situation is.The latter being the hardest challenge of them all.  After all being a good ate means not only to care for other people at their best but also at their worst. At least that's what my real ates in life and in ballet have taught me. As my students always  blurt out,  "Have courage and be kind". I want to be voted best ate too one day. :) 


Lovingly dedicated to my sister Tricia Roxas, my  soul sisters Joelle Jacinto and Jacqui Jacinto
 and my ballet ates : Maritoni Tordesillas and Guada De leon 

No comments:

Post a Comment