Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Be You Bravely: La Cage Manila Aux Folles



Along with the rest of the world, I searched for that one resolution that I would attempt to fulfill in 2015. Even before Christmas came, I came across a bible quote that left me frozen. It said "Be you bravely". It was lifted from Romans 12:2  of the bible. I knew then that this was what I needed to do. While not everyone I know is religious , I know that most wish to be brave. I too want to be brave enough to be truly myself in all possible situations. I want to be brave enough to stand up for my beliefs. I want to be brave enough to say no. At the same time I want to be brave enough to love with no limits. I also want to be brave enough to find new things to be passionate about. But this post is not about my very long be brave list.It's about a living breathing musical that positively reminded me about this resolution.

Without saying too much (no spoiler alerts here), La Cage is a story about a non traditional family faced with a challenge. Two gay men are made to face their son's fiance and her ultra conservative family. That alone should be enough to intrigue. The show has a happy ending. How it came to be? I suggest you go get a ticket and find out for yourself.Immerse yourself in the comedy of errors


The story, the script, the music itself is genius in a platter. However, what makes this shows standing ovation worthy is the combustible materials that it is made of.  The cast is led by Audie Gemora who plays Zaza, the ultimate starlet in drag and Michael De Mesa who plays George the show producer. The two are in a lovingly gay relationship. They both hit the ball over the ball park with on point characterization. I have seen Audie Gemora splendidly play gay several times. Chameleon that he is, he always brought something new to the table. With De Mesa's magnetic charm and Gemora's truthfully gay portrayal, it was too good to be true. It was chemistry that made the difference. As good theatre does sometimes, their talent made me feel for them in every scene. I believed them individually and as a couple. I was painfully hurt when it was time to break the bad news to Zaza. I was equally stressed and conflicted when George did not know how to console Zaza. They were indeed brilliant story tellers. 


Michael De Mesa as George  Photography by Erica Jacinto 

Out to steal the limelight was the ensemble (who doubled as minor characters) who set  the stage on fire with their infectious energy. With the very complicated and calorie burning choreography, they managed to blow my mind ( a dancer's mind might I mention). The pieces were not only clean they were as colorful as the rainbow. I saw at least  ten fabulous versions of a sultry face. I think I even saw 5 versions of can can, skank meets giggles. BRAVO to the dancers who sang and the singers who danced. All I saw was a sea of unified madness.
The ensemble Photography by Erica Jacinto 


Rafa Siguion Reyna Photography by Erica Jacinto 


Photography by Erica Jacinto 


Noel Rayos as of the crazies deserves noteworthy mention for being memorable beyond belief. A famous star is only as good as his or her performance. I hurt my hands clapping for him  when I saw him play the the director's side kick  in Producers a while back. Part of me tbought I was gonna see a bit of that in La Cage. I was completely mistaken because he brought a whole different shade or shall I say shades to the words beautiful and gay.  He is simply one of the most brilliant actors of this time. He can  do no wrong in my eyes. Bravo.


Raul Montesa's role  of the conservative Father-in-law to be was short and sweet but we was a perfect touch of contrast to the crazies.   The nuances  that he had injected were hilarious.

Robbie Guevarra outdid himself with this show.  The overall production value of this show was beautifully balanced by well directed actors and actresses. The costumes had just the right touch. The set was cleverly designed. The lights framed every scene lovingly. It's not hard to see that a lot of love was put into this show. All the hard work is now being reciprocated by thunderous applause and standing ovations.


I end by saying, La Cage has a beautiful message. BE YOU BRAVELY. They message is packaged beautifully waiting for another person to unravel it. Go get a ticket and watch the show.
                      
Joni  Galeste as Anne  Photography by Erica Jacinto 










No comments:

Post a Comment