Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Beyond Ballet, Beyond Yoga










Life after ballet can be tough . For me its a never-ending cycle of doubting if your decision was sound and being happy and content about the freedom and financial stability I know enjoy.  Thoughts of  what could have been always enter my mind.  But at the end of the day, I do know that I have every reason to say, I've made the right choice.To avoid these moments of self doubt, I have to fill the void that is ballet.

 Though I still perform occasionally,  my body  has long said goodbye to the rigorous 5-8 hour training and rehearsal schedules I used to have. Reunions with the barre are always liberating as it reminds me of who I really am as a person. . Invitations to dance invigorate me as they give me that temporary thrill of being a performer. Making time for my passion however, is not always a possibility. There are times that real life will steer my direction another way.There are days that it saddens me too much to have small doses of ballet and not be part of the  bigger picture. That's why at one point in time, I silently decided to explore other things that may  fill the void.

2010 was the year I was introduced to Yoga by a good friend. Since then I was hooked. For me it was the reverse of everything I learned in ballet yet it strengthened and pushed my body beyond my limits just like ballet. A ballerina will have a hard time with the turned in positions that Yoga will require but it will increase its inner thigh and outer thigh muscle strength. Yoga body binds push the blood circulation to be more active and releases bad toxins from the joints. Both enable the body to heal faster the tissues that need to heal. Furthermore the stretching poses  allow the body to increase flexibility while being at a relaxed state which is the best possible way to stretch. I guess you might say I am an advocate of Yoga.
 Recently, I was encouraged to take a new kind of yoga pioneered  here in the Philippines by Beyond Yoga. I took on the challenge of Anti Gravity Yoga. This type of yoga is a bit similar to aerial arts only it still revolves around the yoga fundamentals. The focus is still in strength, stretch and body healing using the hammock as the instrument The hammock alone and the prospect of being gracefully wrapped by the silk enticed me. I was ready for something new to divert my attention from ballet.  So I excitedly gave it a try.









STRENGTH
Based on my experience, Anti Gravity really puts emphasis in building core strength. Positions will make it almost impossible for the participant not to use their abdominal muscles. Since your arms are constantly connected to the silk, most definitely, the exercises will tone your arms. The exercises will particularly be beneficial to dancers because it will enable them to understand the physics behind inversions . This will give them a better idea on how to respond to a partner during lifts . An example would be how to recover from an inverted position  going to a  flip shoulder lift Another would be how to hang on a partner without him having to hold any body parts. (This is common in contemporary pieces)

STRETCH
Because movements are aided by the silk, the participant can go further . Similar to the concept of using therabands, it helps you go beyond your extremities during the stretch this time using gravity as the  force that pushes you further. Again, this is perfect for dancers because it leaves you no excuse to not be able to achieve the desired extension.

THE MIND
These exercises require trusting a piece of cloth. Actually at first, I felt hesitation take over my body. Thankfully, the teacher explained how strong the structure and the cloth was easing my worries. Antigravity requires you to trust not only the cloth but yourself. The instructor patiently explained each step towards  strange unfamiliar positions. And after every trick you start feeling better and better. At least I felt that way as I was surprised my body easily cooperated with the silk. The trick wasn't just physically mastering it, it was believing you could trust yourself to do it. Antigravity equals no fear! Again, this kind of exercises strengthen even the mind which is essential if you're a dancer. You must learn to trust yourself as you step unto that stage or attack a new choreography.

THE CALM
The best part of the class was the laying down on that hammock with its swaying swooshing motion. I almost fell asleep! It was as if I got rid of the outside world and literally entered a cocoon.  The silence, the peace, the feeling of accomplishment. Nothing better than a moment of peace.


As soon as I was able to gather my thoughts about the class,  I  realized that anti-gravity yoga is a perfect cross training activity  for dancers. It definitely occupied my mind for a couple of days. It was a beautiful experience that I hope I get to try again real soon.


 This is me trying it out. 



This is what I want to do in the future.







Beyond Yoga Anti Gravity Studio





For inquiries check out
http://www.igobeyondyoga.com/

1 comment:

  1. Nice share! What an amazing coordination is done and clothing seems to be comfortable as well. Heard a lot about beyond yoga styles from friends and now seen it here too. It can be worn for our daily cycling sessions with trainers. Our marathon fest is going on and definitely these will give an ultimate impression.

    ReplyDelete