Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You learn from the best. Lisa Macuja

October 7, 2011


I have probably seen Lisa Macuja perform Swan Lake at the very least eight times. I have seen her perform the principal roles in Don Quixote, Les Corsaire, Carmen, Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Giselle and a whole lot more of other  productions.  Always, after watching her, I go home with an image of a strong bravura dancer. When I think of Lisa Macuja, I think of  speed of light fouettes, spirited dancing and legs that can be commanded to point and lift to any direction and linear degree. I think of a woman of confidence, a woman of determination and dedication. I would say a lot of people think the same way about her. But being in the dance world and being privy to  little stories and rumors and personal opinions here and there, it can make prima ballerinas like her hard to relate to. I have met and talked to her several times. Though we are no where near  "close" she has always been pleasant to me and my husband. In fact when I was pregnant she would share her own pregnancy stories.  But even then, being a prima has a price and despite the niceties, she remained to me a distant icon.



Today, everything I saw and knew about Lisa Macuja as a person has been overshadowed. As she launched Swan Song Series' "Swan Lake", I saw and FELT  a different Lisa Macuja. It was as if she re-introduced herself to me. The perfect word would be "REVELATION".  Her show  started with a documentary about her. If I remember right, it was during her 20th or 25th anniversary as a dancer that she also played a documentary about her career. Hence, I did not expect anything new. I was wrong. Her video started by showing her  in her most vulnerable moments. She was shown performing Swan Lake  in Cuba. She talked about the challenge. She talked about apprehension and fear.  She talked about forgetting steps. Then I realized, she was human after all. How I wish I could link that video to this blog entry! That for me was her best Odette ever (Swan Series Swan Lake Show included).  She talked about her career and how she valued her career's longevity. She talked about injuries. Dancers almost never talk about injuries to the general public. Dancers will hide their imperfections, troubles and what have you to protect that pristine image that the audience still has from her last performance. It was quite a shock for me. The documentary alone was a revelation to me.At that moment,  I felt she became one of us. (Ok I know she will never really be one of us , but Im sure you caught my drift). Surprisingly, the  real revelation would come much later.

She braved through the whole show and everybody just ate up her performance. Bravos left and right  were heard. With numerous injuries, I must say it was amazing to see that she had the courage and the physical strength to do the variations in its original form at age 47. I watched the opening night and the only thing she was unable to complete was the 32  fouettes in  black swan pas de deux. ( I heard from friends that during the very last performance she completed her fouettes and that the audience were roaring their appreciation for the spectacle.)   She was partnered beautifully by her  BORING able Russian parter. In comparison to her previous performances as Odette, this time  maturity added that extra sensitivity in portrayal. Her portrayal of Odile has always been spot on as she exudes the evil flirtatious flair necessary for the role. In short the show was pretty much like any other one of her great  performances. But as the curtain fell, the true revelation unraveled. When she bowed, she blew the dance community away as she walked towards Mrs Felicitas Radaic and offered to  her flowers as a gesture of thanksgiving. It was a vulnerable star reaching down from heavens and landing at the palm of the audience. I need not explain why  this gesture is relevant and controversial to the dance community. But it was definitely then that I saw Lisa Macuja in a different light. A star always  shines more brightly when you see in her a humble heart. This time I left the theatre with not just appreciation for the technique.  I saw  in Lisa Macuja not just a dancer but a beautiful person. At that very moment, the revelation was complete. After all the shows and tributes about her, there was more to see after all.  It is one thing to be a modest star and another thing to give tribute and credit where it is due.  I was in awe as I saw two greats celebrating a journey of success. 

Indeed, you learn from the best. The revelation taught me one important thing about  dance and life. "To be beautiful you must recognize what is beautiful. You must see the beauty in life, love, servitude and gratitude." I may never be as famous nor as good a ballerina  as Lisa Macuja but perhaps I can be as beautiful as her one day. 


Photo by : http://www.blog.weekendsinthecity.net/?p=2050

No comments:

Post a Comment